The Client Portfolio Manager (CPM) is an integral part of the High Yield Corporate Debt portfolio management team and possesses deep knowledge about the investment method, portfolio positioning and rationale for specific holdings within the portfolio. This knowledge enables the CPM to credibly represent the portfolio process to key clients, including institutional and sub-advisory relationships. In addition, the CPM acts as the primary interface between the relationship management team and the investment team. The Client Portfolio Manager will spend approximately 50% of the time traveling.
Purpose of Position
The CPM is a key member of the investment Team, with primary responsibility for articulating the group’s investment method, portfolio positioning and unique insight on specific holdings within the portfolio. While not responsible for portfolio purchase and sell decisions, this individual will actively engage in portfolio management discussions with the team, with a focus on conveying this information effectively to colleagues, investors, gate-keepers, research analysts and all clients. This individual works closely with the portfolio manager and acts as a liaison between the portfolio management team and both internal and external constituents. The CPM will also be expected to develop a thorough understanding of client characteristics and goals and will be able to aid in the long term synchronization of those goals with the Team’s investment method.
Because the CPM acts as an extension of the portfolio management team, this individual must have a strong understanding of the leveraged loan and high yield bond markets and be perceived as a credible investor from both a fundamental analysis and macro-economic perspective.
Works closely with
- Investment Professionals on the Investment Teams
- Head of Institutional business
- Head of Private Bank and institutional business partners
- Other Professionals in the Investment Services and Marketing Teams
Primary Business Lines Supported
- Registered Investment Advisors and other Technical Advisor Channels
- Consultants and Private Bank
- OFI Global Asset Management (OFI Institutional) – sub-advised and separate account
- Investment Team-Related: Study intently with the team’s PMs to become deeply knowledgeable of each portfolio manager’s investment strategy. To be considered an independently credible voice of the team the CPM must have an intimate knowledge of the investment philosophy and method of each investment strategy managed by the team. This includes a detailed understanding of current investment themes being represented within the portfolio, knowledge of all portfolio holdings, risk attributes of the strategy, past and current positioning of the portfolio, near-term outlook for the strategy and performance attribution.
- New Business Development: Play a lead role in creating and nurturing new client relationships, particularly institutional and sub-advisory business opportunities, by working with the distribution teams to educate consultants, investment platform gatekeepers and prospects on a given investment strategy. Participate in Finals presentations and due diligence meetings as needed to win new assignments. Serve as primary liaison between business unit and New Business Approval Committee on new business opportunities.
- Client Servicing: Support and retain existing clients via in-person meetings (on- and off-site), conference calls and board / investment committee meetings, as needed in place of Portfolio Managers. The individual is expected to represent the clients’ interests in discussions with members of the investment team and other parts of the organization to ensure that the clients’ interests are served.
- Marketing Support: Create and produce authentic story telling material for clients and prospects regarding the investment capabilities of the team’s various strategies. This includes playing a prominent role in creating and reviewing marketing and meeting materials, writing quarterly investment commentaries and providing insight for client reports Collaborating with the firm’s various marketing and RFP teams to ensure all data and responses regarding a given strategy are accurate, appropriate, and compelling.
- 10+ years of investment-related client-facing experience.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for investing.
- Comfort working in the sophisticated institutional marketplace alongside the most thoughtful plan sponsors and investment committees in the corporate, public, endowment/foundation and international markets; investment consultants; retirement plan gatekeepers; and investment platform research analysts.
- Compelling and inspiring verbal and written communication skills, including ability to simply explain complex ideas.
- CFA, MBA preferred.
Key Success Factors
- Effective divergent and creative thinking combined with clear convergent communication capability.
- Highly self-motivated individual with the desire to build and sustain a quality investment organization. Sense of ownership and accountability is essential.
- Able to credibly articulate portfolio process with an independent and consistent voice; A successful CPM will be sought after as a primary source of investment understanding.
- Enjoy teaching clients about new investment ideas
- Thrives in an improvisational culture with open, supportive, and constructive criticism
- Strong presentation, writing and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate difficult portfolio concepts to diverse audiences with varying degrees of investment expertise and the ability to discern and adapt to that level of investment sophistication.
- Dedicated to providing superior investment results and services to meet client objectives and to exceed their expectations.
- Strong commercial instincts/experience, ability to develop and facilitate opportunities to grow client relationships individually and/or as a team member.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Enthusiasm for working as part of the broader team to develop and enhance marketing and communication materials that best position the strategies.
- Willingness to educate and mentor other professionals in the investment and marketing teams to develop staff, leverage time and activities and enhance the overall effectiveness of the team.