Job Summary & Responsibilities
The Goldman Sachs Group is a bank holding company and a leading global investment banking, securities and investment
management firm. Goldman Sachs provides a wide range of services worldwide to a substantial and diversified client base that
includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high net worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centers around the world.
Description of the Bank Debt Portfolio Group
The Bank Debt Portfolio Group (“BDPG”) presents a unique opportunity to work with a variety of different clients and with many
groups within Goldman Sachs. BDPG is a joint venture between Leveraged Finance (part of the Financing Group within the
Investment Banking Division) and the Risk Department.
The Bank Debt Portfolio Group is responsible for the ongoing management of non-investment-grade loans arranged and/or agented by Goldman Sachs in several respects: (1) managing the borrower relationship, (2) managing the lender syndicate (i.e. fielding borrower/industry questions, arranging lender meetings, etc.), (3) structuring and executing amendments, waivers, or extensions of loans on behalf of borrowers, (4) identifying other business opportunities (i.e. new financings, derivatives, etc.), (5) supporting sales and trading activities.
In addition to the ongoing management and activities of loans arranged by Goldman Sachs, BDPG also engages with the firm’s
other clients on other advisor assignments related to structuring and executing loan modifications. In such assignments, BDPG
works in conjunction with leveraged finance, restructuring and/or investment banking to advise and advocate for clients as they
negotiate the terms of a loan amendment, waiver or extension.
Members of the BDPG Team have the opportunity to work with various constituencies: (1) externally: management teams (CEO,
CFO, Treasurer), financial sponsors (i.e. private equity firms), lenders (including banks, institutional investors and hedge funds),
and external legal counsel and (2) internally: leveraged finance, restructuring, investment banking, capital markets, sales and
trading and credit risk management & advisory. The global loan business is a strategically important and growing part of Goldman
Portfolio Team Responsibilities
• Manage relationships with company management, private equity sponsors and lenders (banks, institutional investors, hedge
• Structure and execute amendments, waivers, forbearances and loan extensions (process involves creating rating agency
presentations, lender presentations, internal sales memorandums; assisting internal and external legal counsel with documentation;
marketing with investors)
• Work with various other teams within Goldman Sachs to deliver multi-pronged strategic and financing solutions for clients
• Review and analyze portfolio company performance and conduct credit analysis. Coordinate and dialogue with bank loan sales
and trading and bank loan investors about company performance and amendment requests
• Manage workouts and restructurings of distressed portfolio companies
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to clearly articulate ideas
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Highly motivated and adaptable; the ability to work on a team of diverse individuals
• Proactive; the ability to respond creatively and quickly in a fast-paced, high-pressure, changing environment
• Accurate and detail-oriented with sound judgment and integrity
• Keen interest in financial markets, specifically in leveraged finance
• Minimum one year related experience